Monday, January 11, 2016

Middle Sister's Mid-January Review:Bill Bryson's Road to Little Dribbling

I just finished reading Bill Bryson's soon-to-be-published "Road to Little Dribbling." I have read several of Mr. Bryson's books and enjoyed them all, and while I enjoyed much of this one, I have to reluctantly admit that my takeaway from this one can be summarized easily: meet Bill, the curmudgeon. Mr. Bryson writes about his forte, walking around various parts of England, the subject his first book many years ago, but does not revisit all the places he wrote about then. Unfortunately, he usual conclusions are: "I visited here in 197-, and it was nicer/prettier/cleaner/less crowded then." Oh, there are a few places that charm him today, but in general, it seems that England today is nothing like the England of 40 years ago, and not in a good way. I'm pretty sure people in the 1970s said the same thing about the England of the 1930s. And of the England of the 1880s, and so on, and so on...

If you like Mr. Bryson's books, you'll find enough to enjoy in this one, but if you've never read his work before, start with another one, or you might be put off forever, and that would be a shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment