Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Middle Sister's June 2013 Books

A slow month, taken up largely with my book club's June selection, The Three Musketeers, which I am three-quarters through and enjoying immensely.

Julia In Ireland by Ann Bridge Re-issued series from England, I began with the last in the series. Pleasant enough excursion into mid-twentieth century Ireland, where Julia has met her future second husband and becomes involved in a local land deal skirmish. Interesting enough that I'll pursue the earlier titles, where Julia is a spy for the British government in foreign locales.

A Bat in the Belfry by Sarah Graves Recent entry into the Home Repair is Homicide series, this is one of the best I've read in the Jake Tiptree series. I'm not that big a fan of stories that jump back and forth from various points of view, but this was handled well. Kudos to the author's portrayal of the most interesting character--the nor'easter. It was very easy to become engrossed in the storm, to feel and see and experience it. Note: this is another recent story that doesn't shy away from the fact that sometimes, some kids turn out bad, no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment