Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Big Sis' December 2012 Reads

It was a busy month, but I got in some good reading...

Extraction, by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child (Kindle single) - All I have to say is, this is the story of the Tooth Fairy as he lived and breathed and killed in New Orleans.  And yes, it's a n Aloysius and Diogenes Pendergast short story...

Cross Roads, by Wm. Paul Young (Kindle edition) - This is a new book by the author of The Shack, one of my all-time favorite books of all time.  Although Papa appears in this book, too, along with Jesus and the Holy Spirit, this one took a bit longer for me to get into; I didn't fall headlong into the story as I did with The Shack.  Once I finished the story, though, that was a lot less disturbing to me.  The main character, Tony, is not a very likable fellow at the start, so although it took me a while to figure it out, it makes sense that the book was less gripping than the first.  If you don't like the main character it stands to reason the book won't be a favorite.  BUT, once Tony starts to grow, the story does, too, and by the end, I was loving it!

The Racketeer, by John Grisham - I got lost in the story, and not in a good way.  It started off well, I was able to follow the story, but somewhere between the middle and the end, I got lost.  Malcolm Bannister is in jail, found guilty of a crime he didn't commit.  While he was in there, a judge was murdered, and since Malcolm claims to know "whodunnit," he negotiates his own release, witness protection, and a settlement to make it easier to disapper.  But then, it turns out the guy who did it didn't do it, and all of a sudden there's a relationship that's deeper than I could understand it could be, and Malcolm is on the run, trying to stay alive and free.  And then he's put into the position of getting the wrong guy out of jail, the right guy in jail, and...  yea, I got lost.  But it was a good story.  I probably need to read it again, just so I can get it.

Shiver, by Karen Robards (Kindle edition) - Sam is a single mom and a tow truck driver who's studying to be an EMT so she can provide a better life for 4-year old Tyler.  When she goes out to pick up a BMW, she never expects to find a handcuffed and beaten man in the trunk, and she certainly never expects to be kidnapped herself and tossed in the truck...  And you'd think that that would be an awesome premise for a story, but not ONLY does all that happen, she escapes and goes into protective custody with said beaten guy who (we think) happens to be a bad guy.  Of course they find true love together, he's not really a bad buy (not a spoiler, we know from the start but Sam doesn't!), and they solve a crime and live happily ever after.  I love Ms. Robards' books.

The Bridge, by Karen Kingsbury (Kindle edition of a netgalley.com ARC) - This book reminded me in a way of my relationship with my BF from college.  We met and everyone thought we'd get together as a couple, but with 1500 miles between us, that would have been difficult.  (Besides, then he wouldn't have D and I wouldn't have J and no one would be as happy as the four of us are!!!)  But in the book, the author had a knack of writing how we felt, the instantaneous connection, the forever friendship, the way we didn't have to talk but could never not be talking...  The difference is it's a love story so Molly and Ryan get together years later, as they should have years before...  But I loved reading it; it's far from the best book ever written, but it was fun sort of reliving my friendship with C...

No comments:

Post a Comment