Friday, November 16, 2012

Big Sis' November 2012 Reads

So I finally decided to go for it:  $75 to join Amazon Prime.  I will say that one benefit is being able to borrow books for my Kindle at no charge (yes, I know I've really sort of paid for them up front...).  One of the other benefits is free 2-day shipping on whatever I order from Amazon.com.  While I'm not thrilled with the whole Kindle thing, I'm not here to beat a dead horse.  I did read two books on my Kindle this past month...

Heaven Is Here, Stephanie Nielson (Kindle edition) - This is the autobiography of Stephanie "NieNie" Nielson, a Mormon housewife who was in a horrific small plane accident with her husband and another pilot.  The pilot, a close friend of theirs, died and Stephanie and her husband survived, although with terrible physical damage.  Stephanie's face will never be the same; she was severely disfigured in the accident.  She has undergone so many operations, been in a coma for months post-accident, and yet her spirit and strength and love never wavered.  She drew on her faith for strength, although she admits to fear and questioning; how could anyone not say "Why me?" at least once or twice through all she's gone through? 

A Fool's Gold Christmas, Susan Mallery - Another in the Fool's Gold series, this book centers around Evie Stryker, half-sister to the Stryker brothers who were the heroes in previous Fool's Gold books.  She's been estranged from her family for years, never having felt completely loved or a part of the family.  An accident brings her home (not her idea, actually - her big brothers just go and get her!) and she finds a new direction for her life, a new bond with her family and a new love.

Low Pressure, Sandra Brown - Bestseller author Bellamy Lyston wrote a novel based on a tragedy that occurred in her youth.  She did it with the hope it would be a cathartic release of all the suffering she and her family had gone through, but it had a much different result:  she is forced to relive all that happened, she's thrown into contact with her dead sister's boyfriend, the very one thought to have been the killer, and together they of course confirm his innocence and solve the murder all these many years later...

NYPD Red, James Patterson and Marshall Karp - Hollywood on the Hudson:  an opportunity to bring glitz and glamor to NYC.  More than NYC has already that is.  Along with the g&g, some more drama:  someone starts killing off famous Hollywood people, directors, stars, etc.  I like the books written by these two collaborators:  Mr. Patterson comes up with the basic premise and Mr. Karp runs with it.  I look forward to Karp's solo efforts just so I can see what he really brings to the combo...

The Time Keeper, Mitch Albom - I've liked Albom's previous books, but I have to admit that although I was intrigued by the storyline, I found it more difficult to read, at least until I was more than halfway through it.  The book is about Father Time, the man who first invented a clock in an effort to measure God's greatest gift, time.  He's banished to a cave for centuries and forced to listen to millions who seek more time, extra time...  Eventually he is released on the condition he find two humans and teach them the true meaning of time.

Sleep No More, Iris Johansen - I wondered how the Eve Duncan series would continue once they found Eve's daughter, Bonnie, who'd been missing for years and presumed dead.  She was, and they found her body and I was afraid that would end the series, but, no!  Ms. Johansen has done it well.  Bonnie continues to appear to her mother, but less often and only when needed.  The usual forensic twists and turns, a long-lost 1/2 sister to Eve is introduced, and Eve helps solve her sister's mystery...  I liked it!  I'm happy to hear the series won't end now that Bonnie's mystery was solved.

Catching Fire, Suzanne Collins (Kindle edition) - This is the second in The Hunger Games series.  I liked the first one better, but since I can borrow it for free, I thought, "Why not see what all the fuss is about?"  Glad I read it but I admit to being happy I have one more to read and I'll be done with the series.  Although Katniss and Peeta won the Hunger Games in the first book, they are now forced to fight the Capitol.  They become the faces of the resistance.  Eh...

No comments:

Post a Comment