Monday, October 1, 2012

Big Sister's September Reads - 2012

An interesting statistic - well, interesting to me, anyway...  Since February of 2005 I've been keeping a list of the books I read.  The list doesn't include repeats (like the Harry Potter books I've read several times) and it doesn't include all the non-fiction art titles I've read, like the art journaling books I've been hooked on recently (I think there's only one I remembered to include on the list - one out of about 15!).  It doesn't include magazines, and I read several of those a week.

601

I've read 601 books in 7-1/2 years.  I know for some people that might be an incredible number, but that averages out to only 6.6 books a month.  I always thought I read more...  Hmm...  Guess I have a goal for 2013:  I want to read MORE!

Okay, here goes, September's titles without further ado...

All Summer Long, Susan Mallery - (Fool's Gold #9) This one is about Clay Stryker, underwear model extraordinaire, who returns home to Fool's Gold after a tragic loss in his personal life.  He's known love and lost love and as we all know, isn't looking for love when he comes home.  Home is safe, and secure, and we all know there's no one there who's going to pique his interest...

One Wrong Move, Shannon McKenna - Another in the series of books by this author that include a mind-altering drug that, if ingested somehow, TOTALLY messes with you!  The story itself was fine:  a woman's aunt shows up, worn, emaciated, and during a struggle, injects our heroine with a drug.  Of course we find out that she has, oh, I don't know, FOUR days to live before her circuits will blow from this drug...  Our hero, Alex Aaro, just didn't do it for me.  It took me many chapters before I gave a hoot about either of them, which was disappointing because the orginal couple of books caught my interest right away.  It's a mystery/love story, the combination of which I like, but, eh...

Between the Lines, Jodi Picoult and Samantha van Leer - Jodi gives full credit to her daughter for coming up with the idea for this book.  It took me a while to get sucked into the story, but after a few chapters (I actually started it in August but never finished it - unusual for me), I was hooked.  What if you were a teenage girl who was, well, let's just say you weren't Miss Popularity.  You're hooked on this fairy tale you found by accident, and you've read it so many times you know exactly what happens on each page.  Then one day, the Prince speaks.  To you.  In real life.  You actually HEAR his voice and see his lips move on the page.  Yea, your mom will definitely send you to a shrink if she ever finds out about this...  It's a love story, a story about a story within a story.  The authors collaborated on it, with the basics coming from Ms. Picoult's daughter.  Great illustrations from the story within the story....

Zoo, James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge - A departure from Mr. Patterson's usual crime dramas, this reminds me of something Michael Crichton would have written...  HAC:  Human Animal Conflict.  It's increasing, by leaps and bounds, and it seems no one is paying attention, not even when MALE lions congregate in the wild and attack humans as an organized entity.  Not even when a domesticated ape goes - um - wild and kills his keeper.  Not even when medical staff in Africa are murdered, eaten by wild animals.  The story spans several years, and our hero and his eventual wife wind up being directly involved in saving the world from these wild animals...

77 Shadow Street, Dean Koontz - The Pendleton, a gorgeous mansion turned condominium that was built in the 1800s, is home to the usual variety of characters.  What the current residents don't know is that every 38 years, something happens.  Something REALLY not good.  Something REALLY scary.  Suffice it to say this book includes the usual Koontz horror, with a twist.  His descriptions, the way he puts his words together - it's SO visual.  I could really SEE one of the monsters, HEAR him and FEEL him as he crawled along the floor...  I could envision them flying outside the windows, feel what our characters felt when they realized the San Francisco they knew was gone...  The big twist, and this drove Little Sister a bit nuts when she started the book, the big twist about this story is that time is warped - what takes 38 years in our time is about, oh, 45 minutes in the time warp...  The entire book takes place in such a short time, and each chapter is written from a different perspective, all taking place during the same few hours...

The Last Victim, Karen Robards - LOVE Ms. Robards' books, but this one threw me for a loop.  There's a psychic twist in it that I just didn't expect, and is obviously meant to keep us coming back for more, WHICH I will, as soon as the next book is released!  Dr. Charlotte Stone is a serial killer expert, with an ability to see dead people.  Sorta makes it easier to solve those mysteries, right?  But even though Mr. Right appears to be right there in front of her, working with her on this latest search for a serial killer, I can see why if you actually meet and work with the killer, that it might be hard to remain objective...

Almost Summer, Susan Maller (Kindle edition) - I bought several Kindle books in preparate for jury duty, and this was one of them.  Another from the Fool's Gold series, I wasn't thrilled with this one.  I guess I'm an American, through and through... Our British hero just didn't cut it for me in this book.  I didn't feel the love, the passion, the attraction that seemed effortless in other Fool's Gold stories...  And Paige, our heroine, she just didn't help me enjoy the story either...  After all the Mallery romances I've been reading recently, this one disappointed.

Only Us, Susan Mallery (Kindle novella) - Okay, this one was just fine, although it was about a couple of Fool's gold characters I really don't remember appearing in more than, maybe, one book...  The veterinarian's wife just up and left one day; she left him AND her baby daughter, and she never returned.  They divorced and Cameron has been raising his daughter alone, with the help, most recently, of pet groomer Carina Fiore.  Rina is in love with Cameron, she fell for him and his daughter immediately, but she's done nothing about it.  Her girlfriend convinces her to take a chance, and she does, with disappointing consequences.  Cameron rebuffs her advances - he just wants to remain friends.  Well, that doesn't cut it for Rina and she moves on, only to find that Santa can indeed bring happiness forever after...

Chasing Perfect, Susan Maller (Kindle edition) - Finally!  Fool's Gold #1!  Only instead of the tried and true formula, heroine and hero linked by an intertwined past, she starts off with strangers meeting under business circumstances, strangers who become friends, strangers who become each other's true love...  And that little twist about one of the strangers having an unknown link to the town?  That just added a little drama and made it feel more like you were reading about family instead of strangers...

Where Azaleas Bloom, Sherryl Woods - Another in the Sweet Magnolias series, single mom Lynn Morrow is struggling when her soon-to-be-ex-husband apparently stops sending support.  In fact, his lawyer even disappears for a while, apparently running off with hubby's money...  She gets a part-time job, and does well, but ends are not meeting and she winds up working from home a few hours a week for a local contractor who eventually winds up as her hero.

Dark Places, Gillian Flynn - An earlier book by the author of Gone Girl (reviewed last month), this novel contains the same dark characters and warped stories I guess Ms. Flynn is famous for, and MAN, were these characters dark!!!  I didn't like any of them - Libby Day, our heroine, is a troubled individual, not heroine material at all.  She's the victim of a horrible childhood, the only survivor other than her murdering older brother...  who murdered their entire family when Libby was only seven years old.  She's had nothing to do with her brother for 25 years, but desperate circumstances bring them into contact again.  I did NOT see the twisted ending coming and admit to being totally shocked at how it was resolved.  Disturbed, and shocked...

2 comments:

  1. Wow, lots of reading done while doing things like, oh, working, jury duty, volunteering, you know--living. Seriously, though, I keep telling myself I should just get rid of my television. There's little on that's interesting, after all, and I could get a lot more done or read without it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't Koontz'time warps that drove me nuts, it was the detail. And I LOVE visuals, I get them easily. This was overkill for me.

    ReplyDelete