Saturday, July 7, 2012

Big Sis' June Reads, 2012

Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake, by Anna Quindlen - I am a fan of Ms. Quindlen and this book is a new favorite.  She reflects on growing old(er); Ms. Q. has reached 60, I believe.  She remembers the past, she predicts her future, she enjoys her present.  I can certainly relate to a lot of what she wrote - this is a keeper; if you want to borrow it, just drop me a line!

The Unexpected Husband:  Jury of His Peers and Any Sunday, by Debbie Macomber - Two for the price of one, folks!  Caroline and Ted meet again, for the first time since high school, I believe, when they serve on the same jury.  Caroline never liked him, he always liked her, and since this is a romance, yay!  They eventually get together!  And in the second story, Marjorie meets Ben when she needs a doctor.  He falls for her immediately but she's not in the market for a husband...  or so she thinks!

Hot for Fireman, by Jennifer Bernard - Our heroine turns out to not be such a heroine:  I have a problem with someone really thinking that setting fire to her family's bar might be the best way to pay off the upcoming loan...  After all, what else would you use the insurance payment for?  I had a hard time wrapping my head around her decision to do this, even though, during the course of the story, she winds up not being "the bad guy..."  Just the thought that she'd even consider it made me not like the story, but it was fun and a quick read. 

Odd Interlude 1, Odd Interlude 2, and Odd Interlude 3, by Dean Koontz (special Kindle only short stories) - These were $1.99 each and they were apparently intended to be a prelude of sorts to his forthcoming Odd Apocalypse.  They were short stories, unique each to themselves, but you really need to read 1, then 2, then 3 or they make no sense.  I can't wait to see how they fit into the new book coming next month.  Little Sis has a galley; just waiting to borrow it when she's done with it.  I LOVE the Odd Thomas series!  Interludes 1-3 are chock full of sci fi, mystery, psychic phenomenon, characters we love, characters we really don't like too much, and of course, one AWESOME bad guy!!!

No One Left to Tell, by Karen Rose - I am a huge fan of Ms. Rose, and I think this might be my favorite romantic thriller!  She's in the same genre as Ms. Johansen and Ms. Hoag (two of my all-time favorites, as you know!) and this one?  This one is her best, I think!  Paige witnesses the death of a woman related to a case she's working on, and realizes the victim's fiance is in prison for a crime he didn't commit.  Paige and Grayson work together to solve this whodunnit, and by the end, after several twists and turns and numerous more murders, we finally find out who the bad guy really is.  This was a long, thick book and I loved every page!!!

1 comment:

  1. I like Anna Quindlen, too--save your copy for me!

    ReplyDelete