Friday, June 1, 2012

Middle Sister's May Read

Yup, May read. Singular. Not plural. I read one book in May.

Oh, I've been reading. I started "The Mill on the Floss" by George Eliot for my book club on May 1. I'm still reading it. I'm only one-third the way through. Here's the kicker--I like the way Eliot writes, her descriptions of the Dodson sisters is hilarious, and yet the book is moving so slowly, it's like walking though molasses. I've been told by a fellow book club member it will pick up, so I'm plugging away at it. I needed a break over the holiday weekend, however, so I started "Harry Potter" number 1 (thanks, Big Sis!).

But I did read a book loaned by a friend, so here's my impressions of Becoming Naomi Leon by Pam Munoz Ryan. It's a young adult novel, aimed at the 10-13 crowd. Naomi and her brother live with their great-grandmother in a Gulf Airstream affectionately known as Baby Beluga. When Naomi's mother reappears after many years, family relationships, Naomi's self-confidence, and a journey through emotions as well as Mexico change everything. A delightful, quick read in which the characters wind up in one of my favorite places: Oaxaca, Mexico. Naomi is an unusual girl of unusual talents, and many girls her age would find her a sympathetic role model. I love how the author didn't sugar coat Naomi's mother, or make Naomi blind to her shenanigans. Kids deal very matter-of-factly with things that adults sometimes think it's best to hide from them.


1 comment: