Friday, June 8, 2012

Big Sis' Reads - May 2012

Here we go...  the last of my Kindle reads for a while...

What Doesn't Kill You, by Iris Johansen (Kindle Edition) - Not my favorite in recent years, this one was about Catherine Ling, Eve Duncan's new friend.  It's about her relationship with Hu Chang and John Gallo (Eve's ex lover), and I thought that would hold my interest, but, eh...  So-so...  I was disappointed.  It was still a good read, but it just wasn't good enough, not up to Ms. Johansen's usual...

A Brewing Storm, by Richard Castle (Kindle Edition) - "Part 1 of the Derrick Storm Trilogy" - "A Derrick Storm Short" - One of those special Kindle stories, specifically written to offer readers something in between books, this was okay, much better, say, than the Cherry Adair short I reviewed a few months ago...  Richard Castle did a much better job with this "short" than the other few I've read.  Derrick comes out of early retirement to solve a high-profile kidnapping, along with April Showers....  Yes, Derrick STORM and APRIL SHOWERS.  Despite that, it was still a fun read!

Tuesday's Child, by Fern Michaels - I still have some connections and this ARC (the actual book is releasing June 26, 2012) was okay.  I used to read a lot of her books, but as I've gotten older, I've been much less interested in historical romances, and much more likely to read a modern day romance.  I liked the idea of a middle aged heroine, since yours truly is rapidly approaching those years herself (isn't it funny that at 51-1/2, I seriously don't consider myself middle-aged!?  But that's a topic for another blog post!), and I liked the plot twist...  Mikaela Aulani is a Hawaiian attorney, getting ready to retire, when all of a sudden, "the case that got away" is back in her lap.  The wife of a 10-year murder victim comes and confesses that HE killed his wife and that Kala's client, convicted and in jail for 10 years, is innocent.  It wrapped up a bit too easily, it really needed another chapter or two of plot, but it was okay.

11th Hour, James Patterson and Maxine Paetro - I've spoken before about how impressed I am that Mr. Patterson is giving other up and coming authors a hand...  I LIKED this one!  Lindsay Boxer is pregnant, and she has marital troubles 'til they get better at the end of the book, but I liked the body-less heads in the backyard, the household staff members who are quote obviously suspects, the cool "compound" the suspected bad guy lives in...  Quick and fun read - Mom will love it when I pass it along!

Beautiful Sacrifice, by Elizabeth Lowell - I really thought I was going to pass this one along to Middle Sis - here's the book description, according to amazon.com: 

     According to Maya legend, December 21, 2012, will mark the end of the world as we know it. Is it myth . . . or will their prediction become reality?
     Archaeologist Lina Taylor has devoted her life to studying ancient Maya artifacts, splitting her time between digs in South America and the classroom teaching college students. But the professor's structured, academic life is about to spin out of control. Some extremely valuable and important Maya artifacts have gone missing. Are the culprits fanatics determined to create chaos and usher in annihilation?
     Helping out a friend, former immigration and customs enforcement officer Hunter Johnston is determined to recover the missing pieces and he needs Lina's help. A man used to calling the shots and working alone, he isn't comfortable letting anyone get close, especially a beautiful and brainy woman like Lina. His gift for reading people tells him there's a lot going on below that professional exterior, and he's more than a little curious to probe her depths.
     Burying herself in her work, Lina's had little experience handling men, especially one as fascinating and exasperating as the secretive, headstrong Hunter. A devoted archaeologist, she has the skill to excavate those protective layers all the way to his core.
     But finding the missing artifacts is only the beginning of a mystery that will plunge these unlikely partners into adventure, romance, and danger more thrilling, sensual, and deadly than either of them knows. . . .

BUT, the book, the story, it was disappointing.  Not enough Maya stuff for sis, an okay whodunnit, but not Ms. Lowell's best.  I read a LOT of the book before I cared at all about the characters - I didn't like Lina or Hunter until halfway through the book.  A lesser reader might have given up long before that point...

Vortex, by Cherry Adair - Another in the Cutter Cay series of books, I liked it.  Logan saves Daniela, Daniela helps Logan find the treasure he and his salvage company are looking for, Logan saves her again from her criminal cousins plus other assorted bad guys from her past...  It was a quick and fun read, and you don't have to have read the previous Cutter Bay novels to get it - you would just know Logan's brothers when they're mentioned...

No comments:

Post a Comment