Monday, May 28, 2012

Nandina blooms and a Lone Harison's Yellow Rose

My Nandina domestica is also blooming now, it's little spikes covered in white flowers. These will produce red berries later this fall. My real fondness for this shrub is that after the first frost, the leaves turn red. What a lovely splash of color during our harsh, brown winter.

And this week, the one bud on my Harison's yellow rose bloomed. Last year it also had only one bloom. I've stepped up my watering schedule, so it now has a three-inch second cane growing next to the 2.5-year-old original cane. Hooray!  While this is not a graft from the original bush from the old family homestead in Newfoundland, NJ, a graft of which grew at my grandfather's house and which my dad transplanted to our house (I've failed miserably every time I've tried to transplant some of it out here), it is, at least, the same old rose that's been in our family almost as long as its been here in the States. And so while not the same bush, it still makes me feel connected to the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment