Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Middle Sis' March Reads

I only read two books in March, but they were excellent! The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie and The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag, by Alan Bradley. These were, respectively, books 1 and 2 in the Flavia de Luce mystery series. Someone told me Flavia was a hoot, and they were right. I don't know how Mr. Bradley did it, but he's written a book with a child protagonist that is not a childish book. The stories were interesting, the writing was superb, the relationships between Flavia and her two older sisters perfectly representative of the angst between all young sisters, and the adults sympathetic and realistic. The descriptions are so finely drawn, I felt I was in the library, or crossing the stream barefoot, or riding Gladys down the lane.I think I only read two books in March because I was reading these slowly so as to enjoy every word and scene.

These were probably the two best books I've read the past year. I kid you not. Even if you don't like mysteries, I think you'd enjoy these.

No comments:

Post a Comment