Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Big Sis' July Reads

Yea, I know it's August already, and I have my August list ready to post, too...  It's been a busy month, what with earthquakes and hurricanes and vacation days... 

Room, by Emma Donaghue - I am SO totally against reading the "it" book when "it" is all everyone is reading or talking about...  For instance, I resisted reading The Bridges of Madison County until WAY after the movie came out (yay, Clint!), and hated it on every page...  So I was resistant to reading this book; after all, everyone on the train, the plane, and in the hotel was reading it, on every train and plane, and in every hotel I stayed in over the past year or so.  But I saw it in Costco and it was under $10 so for some unknown reason, I gave in to the urge and bought it.  And never looked back.  I.LOVED.IT.  It was a real adjustment to get used to the narrative style; it's written in the voice of a young boy who has never left the room he's being raised in by his mother, who's locked in this converted shed and not allowed out, but is trying to protect her son from her kidnapper/his father, keep him from being exposed to the sex/rape, and teach him what she can about the world he'll never know...  Strange, yes, but very intriguing.  The ending wasn't what I expected.  I wasn't disappointed, but all of a sudden, it was over.  And I wanted more.

Now You See Her, by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge - Another quick read, about Nina, who marries young, escapes from the husband she thought she knew, and who she is forced to confront again, under the worst of circumstances...

Flowers on Main, by Sherryl Woods - Another book in the Chesapeake Shores series...  This one actually took place before the others I read, but I went back to read them all and fill in the gaps...  In this book, Bree comes home, a failure in her own eyes, even though her family doesn't agree.  She starts a new life back home, doing something she never did professionally before, and discovers that the love of her life she left in Chicago was really NOT the love of her life, but a manipulative man who, under the guise of being her mentor, actually trashes her career because it was beginning to eclipse his.  Bree finds love at home with her first love, Jake, the man she left for Chicago's bright lights.

Two for the Dough, by Janet Evanovitch - The first Stephanie Plum novel I've ever read, the second in the series...  Old acquaintances, 24 stolen caskets, and a familiar Trenton, NJ...  Yes it was a funny book and yes I liked her writing style but I don't think I'll be buying them all like I did the Harlan Cobens....

U Is for Undertow, by Sue Grafton - The author has made her way through the alphabet to "U," but again, as much as it was a decent read for my business trip, it didn't hook me into wanting to read all the other books in the series.  I liked Kinsey Millhone, but it seemed hard to follow between the here and now and the back then...  I did like the story line, digging up the truth about a client's past, only to find his memories were skewed and lead her down many a wrong path in solving the mystery...  Just not a HUGE fan but I'd certainly pick up a few in the used bookstore...

Eyes Wide Open, by Andrew Gross - The author has co-written with James Patterson and the quick pace is reminiscent of JP...  The story was interesting:  a brother is drawn into his own brother's life, current and past, when that brother's son is found dead and suspected of suicide.  The parents are convinced it wasn't suicide, but they are not the most reliable people you've ever met...  Charlie winds up solving his nephew's death, and meets all sorts of unsavory characters along the way.  Good read!

Quinn, by Iris Johansen - Another Eve Duncan tale, leading up to Bonnie, which is releasing this fall...  So excited to feel this series drawing to a phenomenal conclusion...  This particular book has a lot of past and present in it; we are there when Eve and Joe meet, and we're there while they search for Bonnie all those years later.  Good book!

Split Second, by Catherine Coulter - Another FBI Thriller, Dillon and Lacey are at it again, this time solving a mystery tied, in a surprising twist, to Ted Bundy.  There's another plot running throughout, starring Agent Carlyle, who I anticipate will be a bigger character in future books...  These seem to run hot and cold, but I liked this one; the Bundy angle was pretty neat and wrapped up pretty well...

Justice, by Karen Robards - Witness Protection Program?  Check.  Disguise?  Check.  New life?  Check.  Low profile?  Um, not so much...  Jessica is supposed to stay out of the public eye, but unfortunately for her, a big win for her law firm puts her smack dab on the front page, and all those criminals she's hiding from?  Guess what!  They read the paper!!!

Port Mortuary, by Patricia Cornwell - I bought this when it came out in hardcover but never read it until this month; I'd started it but it wasn't one of her best and I just didn't care too much for the 1st half of the story.  Eventually the familiar characters hooked me once again, but for such a big, thick book, this was probably my least favorite Kay Scarpetta story - too much book, not enough story...

No comments:

Post a Comment