Sunday, July 3, 2011

Middle Sis' June Reads

While this looks like a short list, I've been reading an e-book galley for a couple of weeks now that I had hoped to finish by the end of the month; no dice. It's another post-WWI mystery, the first in another series, and I have to say, so far, so good. I've also been reading a newer textbook to update one of my lecture topics for my class this fall. So I have been reading more than this list reflects. Reviews next month. I'm sure you can catch the theme for this month's reading.

L Is for Lawless by Sue Grafton Okay, so I'm waaayyyy behind in the alphabet series, even more than you know, since I don't read these in order. But this was another good yarn spun by Ms. Grafton. Kinsey Milhone is asked to do a favor, an innocuous favor, for an old friend that spins out of control and sends her racing to a Texas hotel in hot pursuit of a duffel bag full of cash. Or is it? There are a few unresolved strands to the story, presumably purposefully left that way because Kinsey has no resolution (and never gets paid) to the entire mystery, so why should the reader? Strong entry in the series, with a more unusual premise to kickstart the action.

The Golden Retriever: All that Glitters by Julie Cairns Well illustrated introduction to the breed. Provides breed-specific information (coat, head, etc.), as well as general guidelines re: food, exercise, training, etc. She also provides a glossary to explain the field trial champion designations, which many breed books which focus on conformation do not. Excellent photos show the difference between the traditional field golden, and the golden retriever body and coat that has become popular over the past twenty years or so here in the states. CuddleMonster has the field retriever coat and body, by the way (someone at the dog park called him an Irish setter yesterday!)

The Essential Golden Retriever by Howell Book House and Golden Retriever by Peggy Moran Sense the theme? Lots of reading about the new zoo member this month. These are reviewed together because they are essentially the same book. If Moran's was first, and if I were her, I'd be peeved. Entire sentences and paragraphs are identical between these two books, and not just for general topics such as grooming. Let's face it, there's only a few ways to describe golden feathers. But there are lots of ways to discuss the history of the breed, and here is where the sameness of the two books is most apparent. Published by the same house, I was wondering if they bought the intellectual property rights to the one book and just re-packaged it with a different price point and no author acknowledgment in the other. If I had to chose one, go for Cairns' All That Glitters--more complete, better layout, and abundant gorgeous photos, so worth the extra money.

Does it count that I got caught up on magazines this month, including my quarterly Mystery Reader's Journal, the theme for which was Mysteries in London, which has added about 12 books to my want-to-read list?

No comments:

Post a Comment