Friday, March 4, 2011

Big Sis' February Reads

First, YAY, Little Sis!  Glad you were able to take some time to read for pleasure last month!!!

And here are my February reads...

Tick Tock, by James Patterson and Michale Ledwidge - First of all, I love the Michael Bennett series of books.  I love the idea that he's widowed (sad though that is) with 10 adopted children and a young Irish nanny named Mary Catherine.  I like the recurring grandfather priest who seems to have an opinion on everything.  I love the potential tension between Michael and Mary Catherine and I like how it almost came to fruition in this book.  The authors developed a great bad guy in this story, and the way it turned out was a bit of a twist.  The back story of the bullies out on the island was good, too, although perhaps their way of dealing with the bullies might not be the most ideal lesson to teach your children...  Fun!

The Inner Circle, by Brad Meltzer - I've read several books by this author, and they were all located in the political arena of Washington, DC.  This one topped them all 'cause it included books in the US archives, an old historical book seemingly belonging to George Washington, a possible psychic twist, and a bad buy I didn't really expect would be the bad guy!

The Secret Soldier, by Alex Berenson - I started reading these John Wells novels a few years ago.  Sometimes I find them a bit difficult to follow - this one, for instance, although well-written as they all are, was tough because I really don't know anything about the history of Saudi Arabia and the terrorists and wars this country has been through.  So I find myself reading the story and wondering if this particular fact is based on history or if this is part of the fiction that is the storyline...  It still makes for an exciting read, though, if you're into spies and current terrorist history.

I started Ree Drummond's The Pioneer Woman:  From Black Heels to Tractor Wheels in February and will have that review in March's Big Sis' Reads.  Ree is the author of the blog "The Pioneer Woman" and I love her!  She started her love story on the blog, but enough of her readers wanted the whole story so she put it into romance novel form, and the rest is history, as they say!  Take a look at her blog - if you haven't read it, it runs the gamut from her life on an Oklahoma ranch to homeschooling to photography to cooking: she is also the creator of "Tasty Kitchen," a great cooking blog.  The "Confessions" tab is her everyday.  She's a great writer!  More next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment