Saturday, October 2, 2010

Big Sister's September Reads

My Lies, by Meredith Maran - This was an interesting read, not because it was published by Wiley, but because I've always found the concept of "false memories" fascinating.  This is Meredith's autobiography.  She pulls no punches but writes with brutal honesty about her involvement in helping victims of abuse and incest.  She talks about her marriage and how it failed.  She talks about her later relationships with women.  She came to believe that she was abused by her father when she was younger.  She lets it split up her family; she becomes estranged from them all.  But eventually she comes to believe that she remembered falsely, that he hadn't hurt her at all.  And she admits the difficulty she faced in apologizing to her father, in growing close to her family once again.

1022 Evergreen Place, by Debbie Macomber - I always thought that the idea of living in a duplex next to the man you would eventually fall in love with was a great one.  And this story proved it.  A clean little romance that holds its own in the series.

Stories, edited by Neil Gaiman and Al Sarrantonio - This collection of short stories was strange, which I suppose I should have expected given that Neil was one of the editors, but I saw Jodi Picoult's name on the list of contributing authors and bought the book.  Several of the stories really weren't my style, but for the most part I enjoyed them.  At the very least, I enjoyed the format.

Safe Haven, by Nicholas Sparks - This is my all-time favorite Sparks title.  Katie moves to a small town in North Carolina.  We learn, eventually, that she is running from an abusive husband.  In the meantime, she learns to trust again, and love again.  She falls in love with Alex, and with his two children, and almost begins to believe she can have a real life again.  Needless to say, Hubby Dearest shows up again and while all ends well, albeit tragically, the best part of the book is Katie's friendship with Jo.  And that's ALL I'll say about it!!!

Spider Bones, by Kathy Reichs - Another book with Temperance traveling from Canada to North Carolina to Hawaii to save the day.  How is it possible that the same man can be buried in several different graves?  Read this one and find out!

And I just started Merchants of Culture, a non-fiction book about - drumroll, please! - the trade publishing industry!  I'll let you know next month whether it was a good read...

1 comment:

  1. Interesting month of diverse reads. My Lies sounds like it was grueling, though.

    ReplyDelete