Tuesday, August 3, 2010

What did Big Sister read in July? Part Deux.

So I mentioned in my last post that I was reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.


I believe I might also have mentioned that I don't skim either, that I feel obligated to read cover to cover.

Yea.

Well, I am apparently a liar.

There was no freakin' way I was going to be able to read this book cover to cover so I skimmed the last 2/3 of the book, looking for any combination of words that might pique my interest.

Well, suffice it to say not too much piqued my interest.

Here's the story [SPOILER ALERT!!!]:

He loses a court case, quits his job, is having an affair with his partner, takes a "job" for some guy to find out who murdered that guy's niece years ago, winds up having an affair with two other women, finds the woman who's not really dead, and The End.

The only part of the story I cared about never got resolved; I must have skimmed right past it. And I don't care enough to go back and read it cover to cover to find out about the flowers...

That's hours of my life I'll never get back...

2 comments:

  1. I'm still unclear on exactly what you didn't like about the book. You didn't like his writing style? You didn't like the premise of the book and found it unbelievable? It was too graphic for your tastes? Or you just didn't like how he ended it (as opposed to how you would have liked it to end)? Sorry I'm being particular, but I've been the nagging person on a couple of Internet book group reads who says "Well, yea, you don't like it, but why? You can't just say you don't like it and then not offer a reason." Will post this, then jump back and re-read what you wrote about it the other day in your July reads list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, back again. You didn't warm up to the characters and you didn't like how he wrote. Well, I haven't read that many European thrillers/mysteries, or Scandinavian books in particular, but Mystery Readers Journal just had an issue devoted to Scandinavian mysteries in 2007, and they definitely seem to have a distinct writing style up there. Hmm, can't hyperlink, so here it is: http://www.mysteryreaders.org/Issues/Scandinavian.html

    You're piquing my curiosity re: this title. I may not be the last person in North America to read it after all.

    And NPR has the results of a listener's poll on hte top 100 thrillers of all time posted in the summer reading section. I've read 8. After this, I'll have read 9!

    ReplyDelete