Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Reading...

Just finished Jodi Picault's House Rules. Love this author! I believe I've read all of hers but one or two of the oldest... House Rules is about a young man with Asperger's Syndrome. He's high functioning and very smart, but socially handicapped. (And no, I don't pretend to be educated in the autism spectrum - please forgive me if I use unacceptable phraseology.) I was predicting a particular ending (no spoiler alert needed!) but admit to being pleasantly surprised by how she wrapped it all up - a tiny bow, all the rough edges smoothed out, but nothing too disappointing or predictable...

Just started Alex Berenson's The Midnight House, the next in the John Wells series. It's described as "...a cutting edge novel of modern suspense" in the espionage genre.

Yes, I'm a comparatively well-rounded reader. Compared to my past incarnation, that is! While I used to be the typical romance reader (those of us who don't, read about it!), as I've had some romance inserted into my life (thanks, Hon!), I've felt less the need to read about it and more the need to expand my literary horizons! But seriously, folks, while I still love a good romance, I find myself picking up more general fiction: criminal procedurals (although not a traditional mystery), suspense fiction, general fiction, political books, and I'm hoping for a good (auto)biography or two soon - so far nothing has really caught my eye in that category...

I'm sure many of you have heard about the terrible floods here in NJ, specifically in the Little Falls area. Yesterday, J and I took a ride through that area of town. I had been in the Willowbrook Mall area earlier last week, en route to a doctor's appointment, and those roads were seriously under water! I took a few pictures of flooded mall entrances, and closed Chinese restaurants. There were blocked roads and I had to make a couple of not-so-legal U-turns in private parking lots to get to the medical building.

When we watched the new reports, we felt so much sympathy for all those poor people who had been flooded out of their homes. One of my dear friends had been in a hotel since the previous Sunday; she lives in Lincoln Park and wasn't anticipating getting home until two days ago. (She lives in Lincoln Park - another flood zone in northern NJ).

Well, nothing prepared us for seeing it in person. The waters had receded, it's true, but to drive down these streets, to see peoples' LIVES out on the street, in dumpsters, damaged beyond repair. J kept saying to me, "Oh my God, this is horrible. Oh, Hon, these poor people. What they must be going through. Look at this house! No, look at the river!"

I know people who were affected by these storms. Personally. Horribly. But I wasn't prepared to see it up close and personal, even in a drive-by scenario.

My heart goes out to all of these families who have lost so much. I'm off to do a little digging, to find out where I can send some money so that I know it will make it to the locals who need it. My niece is collecting at her school in Little Falls - perhaps I'll just write her a check...

No comments:

Post a Comment